Saturday, October 30, 2010

"'Beast' or Famine"

Happy feelings. Everybody’s striving for happy feeeeelings (wiggling fingers sarcastically). I’m all for happy feelings. They’re fun. But they’re just a flash in the pan. Given a choice between a happy feeling now and long term happiNESS, I’d like to think I’d choose happiness – even if it means discomfort for a moment.

Happy feelings are a large part of my relationship with SugarAnne. I would say that it is the general tone of our relationship. And I’m thankful that we’re both contributors. Me, I’m the corny, dorky, silly sorta guy, and she, she’s the free spirit, blowing at the mercy of the wind, fun-loving gal. And the combo makes for a lot of happy feelings.

But when it comes to a spanking (unless it’s a “slap and tickle” or, an I’m “just sittin' here thinking” about spanking my girl), I am not concerned about happy feeeeelings. When SugarAnne is over my knee (or in some other vulnerable position) for punishment, I’m not in the happy feelings business. No, I-am-in-the-happi-NESS business.

In her post “Tuesday Chat”, SugarAnne surmised that yours truly may be viewed by some as "a strict disciplinarian with a permanent scowl on his face, a roar in his voice and a paddle glued to his hand". Whoa! What a picture! My first thought is that that scowl and that roar are probably a painful reaction to trying to scratch m’clackers with a damn paddle glued to my hand!

And, I have learned quiet as it’s kept, that in some chat circles (I don’t know who you are, but you certainly do) I am even referred to as the “beast”. No doubt a moniker playfully encouraged – if not lovingly perpetrated upon me by Her Royal Sweetness herself. But really, am I really a beast?

Here’s what RW (bless her heart) from The Renewed Wife, said in her comment to Sugar’s post:
“So far as how we see BabyMan”, she says, ”I can only speak for myself, but I don't see him as ‘a strict disciplinarian with a permanent scowl on his face, a roar in his voice and a paddle glued to his hand’ at all” (thanks RW). And then she adds with a gentle smirk, a raised eyebrow and a smidgen of reluctant but favorable betrayal, “(sorry, B'Man!)”.

Translation: “I know you wanna be ‘bad’ B’Man” (that’s bad as in “b-double a-d-bad” y’all) “but I can pretty much see through that. You’re actually a teddy bear. And oops, I apologize for letting your little secret out into the blogosphere”.

Hm. Beast? Teddy bear? “Teddy beast”? (shrug) I ain’t saying. This isn’t really an apologetic for either one. As a childhood friend used to say: “I’miz what I’miz; and I’ma’int what I’ma’int”. (Apologies to you grammar purists).

If there’s one thing I’miz: I am a MAN (insert beastly double fist pound to chiseled puffed out chest) who is operating on top of an underlying foundation of love; within the realm of “this thing we do”; under the over-arching consent of Her Royal Sweetness; for the benefit of our happiness. And that means that on occasion I am a man (pound-pound) who will FORsake momentary happy feelings, for THE sake of long-term happi-NESS. Obviously we would prefer to have both always, but sometimes it’s either/or.

Victor Hugo once said: "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved” (okay, maybe I'm channeling Criminal Minds).

But I would rather SugarAnne know with absolute certainty that I love her deeply and am passionately concerned for our long-term happiness. We both agree that means "this-thing-we-do". Yep, I can make her feeeeeel happy for a moment by maybe letting her off the hook – hell, by letting me off the hook. Punishment is not a happy feeling for anybody over here. But I am persuaded that that would eventually lead to a famine in happiness. Go on call me a “beast” (el-o-el!) that’s okay.

But understand, it's either "beast" for famine.

21 comments:

  1. Babyman,

    Maybe beast is meant as a compliment. A teenager would say "That's beast man" for something really wonderful.

    But seriously the one thing that is not on your and SugarAnne's blog that tends to be on many of the other blogs of this nature is inconsistency. You seem very committed and I'm sure that helps create a very secure feeling in your household.

    Love the breakdown between happy feelings and true happiness. Great post! Those Criminal Mind quotes do come in handy, don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a husband who love and adores his wife! And that included being both the 'beast' and the 'teddy bear'. I'm glad you are good at being both at the right time.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bman, we only can know what we read, what you choose to show us. Then we project and assume. I can tell you that the real life Dd husbands I have met are the most loving, supportive and in -love men I have seen anywhere. My husband IS a teddy bear (shhh!) Ok, a growling teddy bear might be more accurate...but none the less. You have to have a big heart and a fair amount of humility, lots of love and tons of commitment to do TTWD and do it well. To my eyes, you and Sugar Anne surely do that. So...I guess you can't be all THAT bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol B'Man, It's really perspcetive! If you want to see a "beast" you are going to see a beast, if you want to see a "teddy" you are going to see a teddy. I don't think of you in either of those terms. To me you are a person who loves his wife :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B'Man,
    Marriage= "An unconditional commitment to spend a lifetime with an imperfect person."
    Beast or Teddy? SugarAnne loves you! The important point is that you are man enough to be strong and sensitive both when needed.
    Those ingredients, combined with your unconditional commitment to each other = one heck of a marriage.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see you as a loving husband who provides guidance and meets the needs of his beautiful wife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. B'Man - Lol! Glad you didn't mind your little secret getting out into the blogosphere, although I don't think it's all that much of a secret, lol. By all accounts, you and SA are highly loved and respected within the DD/TTWD community, and that just wouldn't be the case if people truly thought of you as a beast. Black and white thinking really doesn't work with people. I like what you said. You are what you are, and you aren't what you aren't. Yes, I'm a grammar fanatic. But that's okay. ;)

    Thanks for sharing your "true nature" with us!

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we have the perfect solution....You are a Beast with the heart of a teddy bear!!!!
    And if you weren't a Beast then I couldn't write my newest novel, "Beauty and the Beast the Spanking Version"!!!!

    Great post. Spanking is not usually a happy time but I sure feel happy when it is done and that closeness has returned.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally BabyMan I really like beasts so Im glad that you make no apology here for what you may or may not be. I see a man who dearly loves his wife so if you are secretly beastly I am so ok with that. Hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the happy times, versus the 'happiness' as a long term goal is also a maturity issue; a ten month old wants things "NOW" as does a two year old, a five year old and a fifteen year old.. heck we all would like things the way we want them NOW, but that is not always for our own best interests' sometimes we have to work really hard to get the happiness and I now there is a bible scripture about something being grievous at the time, but it will bring rich rewards.. forgive me if I can't remember which one it is right now. two points if you can *L* is it the part with all things that are advantageous are not necessarily good and things; ahh now I 'm going to have to go look it up!

    ok I might be thinking of two different scriptures. the first one is Heb 12:11 NWT No discipline of the present to be joyous but grievous, yet afterwards to those who have been trained by it yields peaceable fruit, namely righteousness. I'm not sure if that is the one I was thinking of though..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee hee, B'man, I commented on that post, but couldn't comment on you being a "beast" cos the very thought had me rolling on the floor crying with giggles....
    then again, maybe the abbreviated "B" in bman stands for BEAST not baby?? LOL.
    You are too funny.
    I could never think of you as a beast, more as a sweet, sweet heroic figure who ventures anywhere he needs to, to rescue and return his loved one to his side.
    You two will stay the distance, because you have the commitment and she trusts you, and that is wrapped up by a huge bow of love and respect on both sides.
    Hugs and love to you both! xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Serenity: I imagine my commitment and consistency comes for having introduced ttwd plus a desire to maintain and sustain the happiness that it brings to our relationship. Thanks for stopping over.

    PK: I’ve been a beast when I should’ve been a teddy bear. And I’ve been a teddy bear when I should’ve been a beast. But not too often. As long as I keep happiness in sight and make it a priority for us I hit the mark more often than not. Thank you PK.

    Sara: Whatever I show I hope that readers project and assume that happiness is the primary goal for our relationship. Funny, while our pursuit is not all happy feelings, happiness has been a constant since we began ttwd.
    Shhh…I won’t say a word about that growling teddy bear of a husband of yours. Thanks Sara!

    Alujna: Thanks sweetie. And you’re right about that. I’m digging your perspective. Thanks.

    Tammy: That’s quite a compliment. Teddy bear or beast I am fortunate that I am loved by such a sweet woman as SugarAnne. Our commitment to each other is a commitment to happiness – even if it isn’t all happy feelings. Thanks for the comment.

    SAW: You either have 20/20 vision or your lens prescription is just right. Because I think you see clearly! ;) Thanks for stopping by.

    RW: “Highly loved and respected…” Oh boy, it sounds like there's some responsibility attached to that.
    In fact, I think we are beginning to feel a degree of ambassador-like responsibility in the community. Especially for the “younger” ones. But that just means being who we iz, staying committed to our own happiness (even if it means forsaking happy feelings for a moment) and, beast or teddy bear, showing who we iz to others in the community. Thanks RW. I love it when you visit.

    Janet: I like it! “Beast with the heart of a teddy bear”! I guess our spankings can be call “Gettin’ my Shrek on”. : ))) Oh, and a new novel huh? Great! I can’t wait to get started on it. Thanks for being here.

    Galwaygiirl: Permitted beastliness? Excellent! I think your girlfriend feels the same way. At any rate whatever will sustain the happiness we enjoy is whatever this teddy beast will do – happy feelings or not. Psst…what are they really saying about me in those chat rooms? Go on, you can tell me. ;)

    SS: You sooooo get this post. And the scripture (He 12.11) is an apt, appropriate and applicable concept. That’s the one I was thinking of as I read your comment, although I did not have it in mind when I wrote the post. Excellent observation, nice comment. Thanks.

    Daisy: You are sooooooo funny! “…sweet, sweet heroic figure…” Hah! I’ve got you gals soooo fooled! ;) The only reason the woman stays is because she’s tied up – er, uh, I mean “WRAPPED up” yeah…”wrapped up by a huge bow of love and respect”. I suppose she’s happy with that. Thanks Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being new to this... I'd like to thank you for being an "ambassador" :-) well put.
    I loved this post... I showed it to my husband. thanks for all the great input!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Judy, I'm glad that I can be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I'm a day late and a dollar short, as is usually the case with me..but I think everyone else did a pretty good job of summing things up here. You...a scowling, roaring beast? Now that's funny. I can believe the tender, loving teddy bear part, but in my mind, you are the furthest thing from a beast! You are a loving husband, a man of God, (a comedian, lol)and a friend to many... but beast you are NOT.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenn: Late or not, your dollars are good here. Especially sense you're spending them so generously with all those kinds words. Always good to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have recently attained something my husband calls "The Beast". Can I send it to you? Please? I promise it will promote all sorts of happy feelings. Scouts honor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Monica: You're on scout's honor. Besides, I'm curious. Thanks for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Could have sworn I posted here before--must have disappeared in in the ether world.

    For a guy who doesn't like controntation, I end up having a lot of it. I don't like confronting my wife in he process of ttwd, but it has to be done for both out sakes.

    I think that's what you do and what she needs from you. You beast, you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting the difference with you from now and when you two first started TTWD. Had someone refered to you as a BEAST back in the beginning of all this I think you would have second guessed yourself and really mucked things up for both of you. This blog post might be funny to most but it actually speaks volumes to how far you have come as the HOH and what you are willing to do or not to do to achieve that ultimate happiness with you bride.

    I salute you both speaking from experience (on the recieving end) it "ain't" easy for either one.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mick: Same boat here: Don't want to confront but have to for the sake of happiness. Yes, me beast, me. : ))

    Lynn: This post is a positive productive "identity post" as opposed to the kind of negative unproductive "identity post" (two of which I had to remove earlier this year). I have definitely undergone change in this process and most certainly would've taken "beast" a different way. Thanks for for reading through and commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff