Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"This is a Test; This is Only a Test"

"This thing we do” can sometimes be like a good TV show interrupted by a test:

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury have you reached a verdict?”
“Yes we have your honor. In the matter of the State v. the Defendant we find the defendant – “

Then, BAM! an innocuous test pattern is thrust into your face; a long, sustained beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! knifes you in the ear; and those fate-less words of fate are uttered for the entire broadcasting area to hear:

“This is a test. This is only a test”!

When everything is going along just right: the lines of communication are open; the affection is natural, tender and sincere; and the sex is from awesome to the border of debaucherous; you had better look out. Cuz that’s when – beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! There’s gonna be a test. It's "this thing we do".

I’m learning that if I “look out” for the tests and also “look in” – as in look inside my self, I can learn to rightly rightly discern some of the test patterns of “this thing we do”.

A frequent pattern of testing for us is when I test myself: I put my own Domdentity through the ringer. We had a “Submission Day” this past weekend. I conceived a vision of what I wanted to achieve. It required that I stretch myself; test myself; and wade into previously un-chartered waters of aspiring Domdentity. I wanted to test my ability to guide and lead SugarAnne to a new edge in her submission. Perhaps it should’ve been called “’Dom’ Mission Day” instead.

If I had failed to produce the desired results (fail, I did not), I should be upset at me, not her. Because she was not the one testing me. I was testing myself. By the way, she still earned 29 booty flamin’ strokes with the feared bath brush I call “Heatstroke”. (An’ ah meeen fuh-lamin’!).

Sometimes a situation will test me – especially “hormonal discombobulation” situations. A lot of that’s going around the “neighborhood” lately. Janet (“Finding Our Way”); RW (“The Renewed Wife”); and MaryAnn (“Thinking About it Differently”) have all recently posted about the madness that accompanies this unfortunate condition. When MaryAnn said in her "Come Here" post, “I did not mean to test him, really I didn't”, you can hear the helplessness bleed through. I tell ya, even the medicinal qualities of the cocoa bean can’t even begin to soothe the savage beasts that this kooky affliction creates.

With SugarAnne, when I’m tested like that, first I carefully place a partially unwrapped (I wanna make it as easy as possible) bit of chocolate in her general area. And then I go and watch quietly from "over there behind that thing" (much like a layman watching a pyrotechnician work with explosives). If after eating it, she’s still pacing the floor with that, that, that look on her face (yeah, that look), I know what I have here is a hormonal discombobulation situation. And I know it’s gonna test me. If the situation causes her to "pluck my strings enough", I just may have to step up, and “bang her drums” - for her sake mostly, but for mine too. Whatever the situation calls for, if I don’t respond with the proper wisdom and guidance, I shouldn’t be upset with her, I should be upset with myself (and I usually am). Because she’s not the one testing me, the situation is.

At other times, she might personally tests me. Sometimes she needs to test me to find boundaries. These are innocent investigatory testings, i.e.: “I wonder what BabyMan will say if I have two drinks at dinner instead of just one? I don’t need to be asked every detail of her life before she does something. I’m not a micro manager. Although it may produce a warning – if necessary.

And then there’s the “brat attack” test: “Bratting out” just to receive a spanking. Uh…if you know SugarAnne you know that I don't have a brat taken in hand. Her Royal Sweetness does not like pain - AT ALL! The closest she may come to bratting out is maybe sticking her head in the sand about some issue that concerns me. But lemme ask you. Where does that leave her behind? Um, exposed.

Since I'm swift to the paddle, and make no bones about "peeling the skin off that potato", SugarAnne doesn’t even need to brat out. So I haven't really experienced the brat attack test. But if I did, I wouldn't spank. Well, I should say I wouldn't spank until I needed to get my own personal spank on. And then look out! Not only will I peel that potato, I’ll be making French fries too!

These days I'm learning to treat my paddle like a microphone (“Testing 1-2-3”) and ask myself what kind of test is this? Am I testing myself? Is the situation testing me? Or is SugarAnne testing me? When I’m able to discern the pattern of the test, I can then decide how it should be handled (the test, that is, not the paddle).

It could mean that I need to be lovingly gentle. It might mean that I need to be lovingly firm. And it may mean I need to be lovingly dismissive. But one thing it will always mean: It will always mean that the root of my response will be love.

After all, isn't that what "this thing we do" is? “'This...' is a test. This is only a test” - of how I show my love for her.

25 comments:

  1. I needed a dose of your humor today. Thanks.

    I love your attitude about the role you play in your relationship. No tough guy fronts over here, just a real guy loving his woman. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, BRILLIANT!!! Great post. I'm different to SugarAnne... LOL, yet I too, do not like pain. I DO like Davey to be in control though, and, as I am a naturally bossy and dominant female, who likes to organise and run things MY way, this is a puzzle even I can't decipher! I subconsciously must be testing him all the time; I want him to TAKE control, even if just to say, "I want YOU to make that decision, honey!!!" LOL
    I won't ever relinquish control, it has to be TAKEN from me, and Davey is the one to do it.
    I think, with me, it is also a test of intelligence. I want a man who can outwit me! And that takes some doing! (sigh of adoration) But, he does it!!! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and the root of my response is love"...way to preach it!
    Heatstroke is a great name for a bathbrush, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "After all, isn't that what "this thing we do" is? “'This...' is a test. This is only a test” - of how I show my love for her"

    I love the way you said this... it's not a test of how controlling you can be, not a test of how submissive she can be, but a test of how you show your love within the context of ttwd...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks gg:
    Don’t think your blog isn’t a contributor to what’s happening over here. Because it surely is! I’m glad I could give you a smile today.

    Daisy:
    I guess Davey has his hands full huh? Apparently he has what it takes. You’re a very lucky lady.

    Thanks Bonnie-jo:
    It IS all about the love ain’t it?
    It was epiphaniacal the way the name of that brush came to me.
    I’m glad to see you.

    Ally:
    You took the words right out of my mouth didn’t you? ;)
    We’ve pushed some boundaries that we would’ve never thought we’d be comfortable with a year ago but it’s always been about more than mechanics. Every step of the way it’s been about a love relationship. Relationship is the critical issue for SugarAnne and me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post - I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog :) I like the thought of this thing we do popping up almost against our will!

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, BabyMan! I love how you ended your post pointing out that the root of this thing we do is showing love to each other. Oh, and that picture? The one with a lady's head in the sand? Hilarious! Thanks for making me laugh and think today.

    -RW

    P.S. Thanks for the shout out, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. J: Welcome! I'm very glad you stumbled in. However ttwd pops up, pops in or pops out (of hiding) - it tends to bring rewards. Thanks for the commment.

    RW: Thanks. And yes, the end of the post is the beginning of "this thing we do" for us.

    Btw: Laughing and thinking are wonderful ingredients in the recipe for joy. I'm glad I could be a part of that for you today.

    Thanks for the comment sis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. Im going to pass this blog onto my hoh :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi BabyMan,
    Thanks for the reference to my post. I love the way we bloggers inspire one another to write about something.

    I'm really glad Gus didn't spank in that particular situation, but I do like the idea of chocolate. :)

    Nice post.
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spanked: Welcome! I hope your HoH enjoys it as much as you did. Thanks for coming over.

    Maryann: That Gus knew what you needed in that moment is a great thing. He's quite an inspiration.

    That you like the idea of chocolate neither shocks nor surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL Oh BabyMan I do love your posts, they always make me smile and your name for the bath brush is priceless.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. BabyMan, I too suffer from hormonal discombobulation. Twice a month, like clockwork, I have a meltdown. No one offers me chocolate though. Its very difficult to handle but not as bad if my husband catches it before its in full swing. Catching it is rare though because there is usually no warning. It just sneaks right up and knocks me for a loop everytime. I love how you seem to observe the situation and figure out what is the right thing to do. You seems very skilled at ttwd considering you are only roughly two yrs in like me. You make me smile everytime. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Galway:
    You seem to suffer from an acute form of the affliction: "KABLOOEY! hormonal discombobulation". It creates a detonatious situation for your husband. Dont' worry, it's not that rare. But you're right, your husband catching it would be quite rare. Hence the prefix: KABLOOEY!

    In this type of situation I am no more skilled than your husband. In fact, I am helpless. We've only been at this since last October. So under the circumstances - with his frontline experience - I am sure that there is much that I can learn from him.

    I would recommend that on those "off weeks" your husband boil a huge body sized vat of chocolate (nuts optional) and have you bathe in it for about 35 minutes - or have you eat until you've eaten all that you can eat - whichever is preferred. Hopefully, as the "medicine" circulates through your system, the condition will revert back to the more easier to detect simpler form "hormonal discombobulation".

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. BabyMan...great post with great advice..and laughs thrown in! Since we have started maintenace my testing days are about over...i love your approach and the wonderful reason why we do this! abby

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Abby...Thanks for the comment! I'll be watching your blog to see if the testing days are over for sure! ;)
    Yes, a wonderful reason. Glad you agree.

    ReplyDelete
  17. BabyMan -

    "Because she's not the one testing me, the situation is" Have I ever told you that I like the way you think? (Evil grin)
    Now, how to get J on the same train (of thought, that is) This may take awhile.....Lol

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jenn: You like the way I think? Hm...there's an ulterior motive in there somewhere. ;) But it doesn't stop me from rooting for you and J. Thanks for hanging out here for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your post.The last part is my favorite,so true!

    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! is all I can say lest I will stick up for your wife. Did you not know that this is the phase of a man's life when he 'discovers' his man cave? You've seen it, the fake green carpet/grass placed carefully under the uncomfortable chairs next to the 1940's frige. The token broken items that need new batteries and are next to the table saw which keeps the flow of your hormones close to class V rivers? Then there's the cigar smoking and or golf routes which are only second to the fast cars and 'longest way' to the store options.... just tryin' to help out (SA) here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Misty. The last part is the mission. Glad it's your favorite.

    KayLynn: You are a riot! Thanks for opening my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. B Man...22 comments? What more is there to say...but nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post. You sound like you really love your wife.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff