Friday, September 17, 2010

"When the Prairie Dog Runs Free"

We had a visit from that Spanko Couple from the East. But even if you’re “the most interesting man (or woman) in the world” somewhere, somehow, at sometime I’m gonna to need to get away from you. Nothing personal. It ain’t you. It’s me. I’ll probably need to take a nap to rejuvenate. Or just get back to my own headspace for a bit. Simply put, I ain’t one of those “spend an entire day with you” kind of a guy.

If I had any concerns about spending the day with that Spanko Couple from the East, one would be that somewhere along the way I would need a break. I am not very friendly when I need my break and with our visitors - I didn’t get my break. Funny thing though, I didn’t need my break and, frankly, I didn’t want my break.

We met for lunch first. And the subject of spanking, other than an accidental pun, seemed held in check by its freedom. It rested, as the subject of spanking usually does when in the company of others, right beneath the surface. On occasion, a double entendre would cause it pop out of its hole like a prairie dog on alert, sniff at its new found freedom, take a nibble and then scurry back into its hole.

We stopped out our place after lunch. I popped the trunk to grab the case Bibles that Mr. and Mrs. Spanko Couple from the East had the heart to donate to the ministry. Mrs. Spanko also grabbed one of their bags and we all went inside. She opened her bag to what seemed like an arsenal (3 or 4 implements) of “shock and awe” “weapons of ass destruction” that would make the 101st Airborne Division envious! I was in awe. My preconceived names for not yet acquired implements came flooding to my mind. I began to mentally attach names to implements like they were children being born.

“Ahhh…”, I thought on seeing the loopy Johnny, “that’s the ‘Angel Maker’ right there.”

“Oh-aww!” I continued inside myself when I saw the next heart stopping implement, “That, that’s the ‘Frying Pan’ of love”.

And “Oooooh…awwwww! That’s gotta be ‘The Homerun!’” I was thinking (cuz it’ll knock the cover off the ball). I was actually tempted (“Lord, lead me not into this temptation”) to name that one “GEEEEEE-ZUSS!!” cuz that was my first thought (and no doubt who Sugar’d be praying to with every ever-loving stroke).

I was in awe. And Sugar was in shock when I teased her playfully with the “Angel Maker” (“Yowie! That thing hurts! Don’t leave that thing here! Take that thing home with you!”). We all laughed and it was clear that we had become fast friends. But the "prairie dog", out momentarily, scurried into its hole as we headed outside. 

From our place we took a short drive to the center of the city; a long walk; a speedboat tour on a river; a short walk; a short drive and a quick stop to check into their hotel; back to our place; and a ballroom dance lesson. Foxtrot. And to see the way Mrs. Spanko looked lovingly and submissively at Mr. Spanko as he led her in dancing (in the same way he led her to and opened every door throughout the day) – well, it was a quite a gift!

Throughout the day that “prairie dog” bobbed in an out of our conversations. A joke, a tease, a spank tinged pun here and there. And it even knew to stay in its hole when I lightly admonished SugarAnne for getting untimely “testosterony” on me.

By the time we sat down for dinner, nearly 12 incredible hours had rolled under time’s precious bridge. We ordered pizza and ate informally at the coffee table. And as the waves crashed gently against the shore outside, we talked. I don’t know exactly when it happened, it wasn’t a planned conversation, but the “prairie dog” was out of its hole and running around freer than Nelson Mandela. Joyfully free! We talked openly and honestly about “this thing we do” and about our “issues” relating to it. Four friends, just sittin’ and talkin’ without even a hint of a threat of a judgment. Only the aroma of hope, the taste of help when needed - and love. It was the best two hours of the best day with a couple we've had in a long time.

I am persuaded fully that we all came away with a better understanding of who we are and where we are - even if we didn’t come away with a complete understanding of “this thing we do”.

What special people are Mr. and Mrs. Spanko Couple from the East! There was something about them that constantly rejuvenated me throughout the day. Something refreshing. And what a special day it was too! A very special day when four people, two couples, came together, really got to know each other and, "as iron sharpens iron", sharpen each other too.

The "prairie dog" came out and ate well that night. But not so well that he didn't fit back into his hole - under cover-  where he belongs.

9 comments:

  1. ahh this is a classic case of 'starting trouble' (which i often face with my vehicle, i might add) how do we start this conversation? what next? are we going to avoid it?
    but once the vehicle has started it runs smoothly enough for me :)
    it looks like it ran smoothly enough for you too :)
    glad you understood ttwd and yourselves much better .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. BabyMan,
    I recently moved away from your fair city. All spanking wisdom and brilliant writing aside, I like the references that bring back good memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your visit went better than well. There's something very validating about finding kindred spirits. I'm late but so sorry to hear of SA's incident at the gym. I do agree with Janet about a dog. People who are all about the 'short cut's' usually have a lousy work ethic. Getting passed a big dog isn't on their 'to do' list! I love mine for the protection and company... just tossin' it out there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome experience!!! I don't know where all the spankos in California are hiding but I wish they'd come out of the wood work. Perhaps a visit from a nice couple from the middle of the States would suffice????????

    Hope you have fun with all those implements and take it easy on SugarAnne!!!
    And yes....Sugar needs a dog!!!! But you didn't hear it from me. LOL.

    Here's hoping someday to write about Mr and Mrs Spanko from the mid-wests visit. Not a lot of prairie dogs here but I'm sure we'd get by without them!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Testosterony", add 1 1/2 of water, when it comes to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, let it simmer and before you know it, viola! good times.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. BabyMan -

    So glad to hear your visit went well. I think all of us here have wished for visits like that with like-minded couples, and it's so great to hear about it when it really does happen for someone. Loved the analogy about the prairie dog - you are one creative guy! And speaking of dogs... yep, I'm on the dog bandwagon, too. SugarAnne definitely needs a dog. ;)

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alujna:
    It ran quite smoothly. We didn’t even have to rev up the engine and that was nice. Thanks for visiting again!

    Greengirl:
    It’s funny you would say memories. The whole experience had a feeling of reminiscence about it – even though it was in the present moment. Thanks for the compliment about‘wisdom’ and ‘brilliant’. It's nice to have someone fooled. And thanks for commenting too!

    KayLynn:
    The visit went very well. I’m less of an “other validated” individual the older I get. But it is good to be around kindred spirits. We had so much more in common than ttwd so the wheels were well-oiled for a good relationship from the beginning. Thanks KayLynn.

    Janet:
    That’s a lot of question marks!!!!!!!!

    And I only got away with one of those implements and I am thankful for the gift. I haven't had to use it yet but of course I’ll take it easy on my little ‘angel’. ;)
    Good to hear from you!

    KellyRed:
    I was thinking more on the delie side of things (i.e. baloney; pepperoni and any other "onies"). You sound like you were more on the pasta line of thought. At any rate, with a little “spice” they both spell “good times”! Thanks for looking in.

    RW:
    Hey Sis. The visit went great. I didn’t necessarily wish for it beforehand. It was all SugarAnne’s doing. But it worked out wonderfully! Glad you like the analogy. However, for some reason it gave your "Ge" here fits! ;) I finally pounded it out though. Always nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BabyMan -

    Glad to hear all went well with the "visitors" from the East. We make it sound like a science - fiction movie, don't we? So mysterious! Lol. This is something that's been on my mind lately, how much I would love to meet some of yall'. Like Janet, I am wondering where all of the spankos are hiding here in Michigan.

    Well, if your ever up for round 2, I've got a plan in the works....I'm thinking "BabyMan, SugarAnne, Jenn, J, RW and TC do Chicago". Whatever would you do with 2 couples, one from the North and one from...further West? Lol! I know RW would love to come our way, and J and I are closer than you think....

    Maybe someday?

    Anyways, good to hear that you enjoyed yourself, and didn't even need your break. Now that's sayin' something, lol. ;)

    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn:
    Things went wonderfully with our visiting friends! We enjoyed them immensely.

    Round 2?! Listen, I live on the beach but haven't touched the water in years. I'm sure I'll touch it again someday. I just move kinda slow.

    I don't want Round 2 to feel like I'm jumping off a high pier into shallow water. :)))
    And yet, I look forward to "someday".

    It's always a pleasure when you stop by.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff