Monday, September 13, 2010

"Anticipating a Dive"

I’m a bit thirsty for my diet of pixels. We had a “malicious computer virus” this weekend. Well, we thought it was malicious. Uh, we thought it was a virus too. I dismantled the entire network. But there was neither malice nor virus. It was just the failings of “big broth-“ – I mean Comcast. But for a moment it did look like the entire home network was affected and every program on every computer was completely obliterated. Said faux virus caused such tragedy of life it actually made it into Sunday’s handwritten (can you say Amish?) sermon: “Is a computer a computer if you can’t get the internet?” No. Just a calculator. And, “Is a believer a believer without good deeds?” No, just calculating.

Upon returning home (with very little Post Traumatic Sermon Syndrome I might add), I called the purveyors of  “xfinity”. It's no suprise that I spent an eternity spiraling downward into Dante-like levels of a fiery voicemail hell. It turned out that said life-giving home network was actually fine and dandy. Whew! It's now up and running and it is with great anticipation that I’ll be diving in to get my "pixfix". But for fear of diving in too deeply I should perhaps tether myself to a stationary object. Do they have mouse extension cords?

But my Olympic swan dive will have to wait until tomorrow because today we have spanko visitors from the east on the horizon – a first encounter for “yours truly”. But I am not as trepidatious about the whole thing as Her Royal Sweetness may feel. We’ll show them the area we live in, the “church” perhaps, and also grab a bite to eat. I’m looking a little bit forward to it actually. Not overly excited. Just “am” about it. It’s right. It fits. It’s good.

I suppose that Her Royal Sweetness is thirsty for her own diet of pixels. Yep, she’ll need to get her chat on. That could be a problem huh. You know how she gets: tunnel vision, highly focused (distracted?), “mainlining” chat and all. So, if you see a pair of boots sticking out of a computer screen somewhere just know that I sacrifically cut my own cord, dove in with paddle in hand to extract the needle out of her arm.

15 comments:

  1. You are SO hilarious! I loved, loved, loved the pictures, and your last paragraph as well! I've had computer/internet problems, and I definitely suffer from "pixel withdrawal syndrome" when it happens, plus I'm unable to work, since my work is done over the net. SO glad things are back up and running again for you and SugarAnne.

    Hope you both enjoy your visitors! One of these days TC and I are going to get over your way. When that happens, we'd love to meet you guys if you're up for it. :-) Thanks for updating everyone! I'd wondered where you and SugarAnne went. It's great to have you both with us again!

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your back up and running.I had "pixel withdrawal syndrome"recently myself.Not fun!I hope you two enjoy your guest.

    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOO FUNNY!!!
    If your computer continues to play nicely with you let us know how the "meeting of the spankos" went.

    Sorry that Comcast is sending you mixed signals. Gotta love em!!! They seem to be picking on my home phone recently not my computer....Thank you Comcast.

    Wondered why you and SugarAnne had fallen off the face of the internet. Glad it is fixed. Amazing how much we rely on this stupid flat objects!!!! How did we get by without them???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunday’s handwritten (can you say Amish?) sermon: “Is a computer a computer if you can’t get the internet?” No. Just a calculator. And, “Is a believer a believer without good deeds?” No, just calculating.

    wow what an analogy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you back BabyMan. There is something so frustrating about lack of computer access - especially when it's unexpected and completely out of your control.

    Loved your description and the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In answer to your question about mouse extension cords,YES,both USB style and the old fashioned PS/2 style,and if that question was just rhetorical sorry,I am an electronics geek. I worked for RS for well OVER 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RW:
    It’s nice to get a chuckle out of you.
    We enjoyed our visitors very, very much! It was very refreshing and encouraging to hang out with the like-minded. Thanks for the welcome back!

    Misty:
    The computer was back up and running before I was. But a sense of normalcy is kicking in as I get my “pixel fix” responding to comments.
    And our guests? They were absolutely wonderful!

    Janet:
    LOL! Computer is playing nicely again. Stupid computer! Stupid Comcast! Stupid reliance!
    And yes, I will probably give at least some idea of how everything went with our friends.

    Thanks Alujna. It’s really something to think about huh?

    Emilie:
    Thanks for the welcoming. Glad to be back although I hate the dependency on these things.
    I’m glad you liked the post.

    Whoa! ‘Scuse Scunge?
    USB?! PS/2?! RS?!
    Wait…lemme go get my pocket protector. Hm, it seems to only be working for USB :))
    Where would the world be without “e-geeks” like you (and car mechanics?) Living like the Amish, that’s where. Thank God for ya Scunge – and for mouse extension cords.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny. I hope your meeting with spanko friends was fun.

    Love to you both.

    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your whole network system didn't get invaded by virus or spyware. It's amazing how such a thing interrupts our lives nowadays. Hey, a little Amish life never hurt anyone did it/does it? It would be great to see your ministry some day,

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ronnie:
    Not funny on this side.
    Things went great with our friends.
    Thanks for the love...and...Backatcha.

    Kady:
    That kind of invasion would have been a terrible headache and terribly expensive!
    A little Amish life IS very painful. And ALOT of Amish life has more character and integrity in it than a collection of my most loftiest moments.

    If not some day, then on a day when "we will dance on the streets that are golden".

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi BabyMan!! I am visiting with some spanko friends right now as well. I am in England which is crazy to me. I will let you know when we are coming to your area. Would be nice to visit with you and Sugar pie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Galwaygiirl:
    I hope you're having as great a time as we had. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that you had a nice visit with that spanko couple from the East. I was praying that you would.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed you guys! Wondered where you had got to...but, then, have been on here less myself this week, one of my kids seriously ill and hospitalised so a bit of a scary time...till I reminded myself God was with me in the situation.
    Good luck with rescuing Sugar...or, maybe she's the one who needs the luck?? ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alexandra:
    That spanko couple are wonderful people! Thanks for your comment, and your prayers.

    Daisy:
    It's nice to be missed. We missed you too! Hope the kid is doing better. Prayers.

    It's beginning to look like a rescue mission will be in order. I'm not saying who.
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff