Thursday, April 29, 2010

"'Whatever'"


“What type of husband-ban-baan-baaand… does your wife’s-ife’s-iife’s-iiife’s…actions tell-ell-ell-ell you-oo-ooo-oooo that she need-eed-eeed-eeeeds?” 

She’ll say, “What do you wanna do today?!” bubbling like cola just poured.
And I’ll say, staler than last night’s beer stuffed with cigarette butts, “I don’t know. What do you wanna do?”

It doesn’t matter what the question is. It could be:
“What movie do you want to see?”
“I don’t know. It’s up to you. You pick.” Or,
“Where should we go to eat tonight?”
“Well, what do you have a taste for?”

I don’t mean anything by it. It just doesn’t matter to me. What I’m basically saying is, “Whatever – we’ll do whatever YOU wanna do”.

“Whatever”.

“Whatever” whether in word or action or attitude; “Whatever” even when being thoughtful and considerate; “Whatever”, even in its nicest form (devoid of any thread of it's comtemporary valley girl snottiness) is neither an answer nor a decision.

Admittedly, the above situations are simple. But simplicity can be a bubbling brook of truth and wisdom. And truth and wisdom, gleaned from simple situations, and left unapplied in more complex situations – including “this thing we do” – can lead to dire consequences.

SugarAnne is quite capable of planning our day. She knows her taste in movies. She knows what she likes to eat. SugarAnne ain’t no dummy. Many of you have enjoyed the intelligence of her blog; some of  you have partaken of her wisdom through email; others have laughed at her humor. I’ll add that she is a self-sufficient, independent and naturally free-spirited woman. So why would this helluva woman ask me about these rather simple things? What the heck is she looking for?! Er, Ahem, “What type of husband do her actions tell me that she needs” in these moments?

Lord knows I’m no expert. But when I speculate through the lens of my own feelings, I am persuaded that on some level, getting an answer from me to these simple questions, in these simple situations actually feeds what is feminine in Sugaranne - her feminine essence. I only say this because when her ear is leaning into my answers, and her attention is focused on my words, and her darling gaze is directed up to my eyes, it actually feeds what is masculine in me - my masculine essence. If I'm "get'n my boy on" surely she must be “get'n her girl on”. It's not scientific but it's not rocket science either!

In our "B.S." (before spanking) days “Whatever” was a power vacuum that sucked all the nutrients out of the air leaving in it’s place another “it don’t matter to me” (Bread 3:16) argument. And even though that confusion made itself clear, that wouldn't stop me from re-frying that shit and serving it up again and again hoping something would change. But nothing changed. It would just leave her starving for the femininity that “Whatever” could never feed. And it left her nothing to feed on but the masculinity I unwittingly vacated. She actually could’ve gone into a cannibalistic feeding frenzy that would make a school of piranha envious. Some women would've. But she didn’t. She didn’t like the taste. I think now, “If only I had simply fed her starving femininity in those "B.S." moments…”

So when I hear, “Should I wear the mauve taupe or the tuscan red nail polish?” I might be caught of guard. I might rattle my smokestack like Scooby-doo and go, “Hu-uh!” And I might, I just might be thinking, “What the fuck?!” Because, frankly, I only have so many shades stored on my color spectrum. And I don’t remember mauve taupe or tuscan red in the 8 crayon box of Crayolas! But one thing is for sure. I will be watchful not to respond with -  “Whatever”.

Listen, I know Sugar’s capable of deciding which nail polish to wear. She’s not REALLY looking for an answer to that. She needs me to be feed her femininity. So I’ll simply ask her to hold them both up. And I’ll take a really good look. And I’ll think; and I'll scratch my chin; and I’ll say, “Hmm” (add smirk for effect). And then, then I’ll make a non-patronizing, sincere selection. After that I'll put it back into her hands – if it really makes no difference to me or – if the final decision is hers. That’s the type of husband her actions are looking for in moments like these. To do otherwise is to starve the feminine essence of the woman I love and – worse yet – to vacate the masculinity she desires and adores in me. And the consequences of that are dire for the complexities of “this thing we do”.

15 comments:

  1. You have a great heart!

    I got to jitterbug today and thought of you two - not ballroom I know... but the fun level was up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great heart? Thanks KayLynn!

    The jitterbug is lots o' fun! And takes lots o' energy. The closest we get to it is swing. Glad you had fun.

    I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you BabyMan....a male that finally gets it!!!! We don't ask to hear whatever even if it is the answer of the day in this house.

    I think I will have Wil read this one and then we can discuss it. Maybe our lunches out or weekend planning won't lead to such stalemates that way.

    Great Post!!!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes YES! Thank you so much for understanding this!! I'm definitely going to be recommending this post to Daddy. I didn't even know quite how to describe this phenomenon that often happens between us, but you've just nailed it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, Li'l Butterfly,

    "...a male that finally gets it!!!!
    "Yes yes YES!" (btw: that has a familiar ring to it. I've think I've heard that somewhere before :))

    Thanks for your obvious excitement for this post.

    But I must offer a cold water caveat:
    This post is about lazy thinking by the man when there is bubbling and hungry femininity in our presence desiring to be fed. It is NOT about trying to get an answer because the lady didn't bother to think about for herself.

    When the lady knows what she wants to do and sends signals that she would do whatever the man wants to do anyway, femininity MUST be fed with an answser.

    When the lady has had all day but didn't bother to think about it, she's just looking for an "out". This is devoid of the feminine carbonation mentioned in the post. It's just lazy thinking on her part. When we sense the latter you'll get the "Whatever".

    So be sure to make that part of your discussions with Wil and Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The secret formula-you found it! Now if we could just inject into the brains of every other man out there...

    I love your writing and your amazing insights. What you and SugarAnne have is a beautiful thing. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delilah, you might not want to inject it into every man. Just yours. But don't inject it. It "smells like turpentine and looks like Indian ink" so you'd better be careful with it. Just have him "hold his nose and close his eyes and take a drink". And for God's sake, keep him away from the cops on 34th and Vine!

    Thanks for chiming in on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BabyMan, I know we agree on TTWD being an expression of our fundamental femininity and masculinity. As you said in your comments, the other option is for her to know what she is asking for and then ask for it. "I need more direction." "I want to feel your dominance" "Show me what you got, Baby!" or "Oh yeah, says who?". I have tried "Make me!" and know it works. They are all way better than letting the need go unannounced, unanswered, and things spiraling. The awareness, your and hers (mine and his) and the communications seem to be ever evolving, which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara, I think that's an excellent point for the to consider. After all, none of us are mind readers. Communication, however evolved, is still key. Thanks for your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post. You are a gifted writer.
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Maryann. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great insight. I love reading your blog. I think I'm going to share it with J. and I'll be sure to share all aspects of it. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for commenting jslittlelady. I hope J enjoys it too - if he reads it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello. I recived your nice comment on my post. Thank you again. I would like to ask that if I ever have a question and I need a mans insight, would it be ok to come ask you? You see Mr.Lane and I are new to this lifestyle and there are times that its hard for us to get useto things. If you read all my old post you could see all the ups and downs we have. From what I read from yours and sugars post, Yalls way of doing things is the way I dream for mine to be.OK well I can talk all day so I will go. Thank you again.
    Lynn Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Lynn, thanks for you comment. Sugar and I are pretty much new to the lifestyle too. We've been feeling our way around trying to find out where we fit. For the most part, our ultimate desire is to have a loving relationship built on a foundation of trust, communication and respect. This lifestyle seems to synergize all those elements for us. I suppose some avenue other than TTWD could work but we didn't find it. Thanks for the compliment on our "way of doing things". Questions? Flattered. But use the email in m profile.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff