Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Sugar In My Coffee"

I never had the opportunity(?) to ask SugarAnne the questions that a husband would normally ask his wife when she suggests that he spanks her for discipline. Namely: 1) “Why don’t you have the self discipline to stop yourself from doing the things that you are asking me to correct in you?” And, 2) Why can’t you change yourself without me implementing punishment for you?” (see Elysia’s insightful post here). But I’ve been was thinking: What if, instead of me asking her, if SugarAnne HAD asked me to spank her? I don’t think those would’ve been the first questions that came to my mind – or out of my mouth for that matter!

What comes to mind is a question more like: “ARE YOU FRICKIN’ NUTS?!!”
Or after the shock wore off a gentler, ”Are you serious?”
Somewhere in the midst of the confusion that would surely set in, I would’ve have put her in a dark room, under a hot lamp and interrogated her like she was Lee Harvey Oswald's accomplice:
“Where is this coming from?”
“Who have you been talking with?”
“What have you been reading?”
"When did this come up?"
"Where were you on the afternoon of November 22, 1963?" 

If that isn’t insensitive enough, eventually I suspect, it would all lead to the ultimate self-exalting accusation: “I KNEW you had ‘boots’ baby, I just didn’t know how big they were! That’s really fucked up”, I’d say and then add, “That’s really way the fuck fucked up!” For those of you who don’t know, “boots” are serious “issues”; i.e. “sues” (pronounced shoes); i.e. big “sues”, thus, “boots”: as in “You’ve got ‘boots’ girl!”). There would’ve been so many other questions in regard to such an outrageous request that questions 1 and 2 above would probably have fallen waydown, I mean waaaaaaay down to somewhere around “Questions 67 and 68”.

I’m glad I never had the opportunity(?) to ask these questions as we stood at the threshold of our domestic discipline life. And, if you can't tell,  I don’t consider it a missed opportunity either.

Here’s why:
Our B.S. (before spanking) days were filled with questions – verbal and nonverbal alike – that suggested, “Sugar, think about what you’re doing sweetie?” and, “Sugar, why are you like that honey?” and, “SugarAnne! What were you thinking girl?!” and every now and then a scrunchy faced, “What’s wrong witcha girl?” Each question hung in the air like a dark cloud ready to burst.

Maybe she did “look in” and got answers, I don’t know. But her “looking in” never brought solutions that led to joy and happiness in her life – and in our life. As a matter of fact, as I look back, I see that suggesting that she “look in” to find answers brought quite the opposite effect. First, she would become absorbed in the process. Then she would begin to sink emotionally – the threat of “rain” looming like lurkers in spanking blogs. (Note to lurkers: it's okay to rain comments upon us). This was followed by the “clam up” where all conversation came to a halt. I would then respond with the “overreach” trying to pull conversation (and answers) out of her. Then finally, and predictably, the retreat. She would disappear into another room – and I’d let her – that in itself my own type of retreat. The result? Ahem, “No Sugar tonight in my coffee...” – if you get what I mean.
I’m not suggesting that Sugar doesn’t “look in” for answers. She does. I’m just not the one who sends her there with those types of questions anymore. I’ve learned that it has to be in her timing not mine. (Is that a woman thing?). Otherwise, the natural flow of love and affection between us gets all jammed up while she’s all clammed up.

With TTWD I don’t ask her to “look in” in the way I did in our B.S. days. That just shuts everything down. With TTWD, when I see a problem or need, I have a tool. I go get my tool (even better when I send her for it); and I go to work: I peel the panties back off of that tangerine and, to mix metaphors, I wax that apple so shiny I can shave my face in the reflection. Understand this, I don’t do it to fix her. Uh-uh. I figured out she don’t need no fixing. She ain't broke. I do it to fix the SITUATION. I do it to break open the dam and encourage between us the all-important natural flow of love and affection. With TTWD the floodgate opens up with “Breck mitosis”-like effect; i.e. love tells two friends (communication and respect), and they tell two friends (trust and passion), and they tell two friends (intimacy and sex, and sex...and sex...and more sex),  and so on….and so on…and so on. We’re really weirded out by the fact that it works. We're about as weirded out as I would’ve been had I gotten the “opportunity” to ask “Questions 67 and 68”.

“I'd like to know
Can you tell me; please don't tell me
It really doesn't matter anyhow
It's just that the thought of us so happy
Appears in my mind, as a beautifully mysterious thing”

I didn’t get a chance to ask "Questions 67 and 68". And I'm glad, cuz unlike B.S., there always seems to be Sugar in my coffee these days.

I submit, if YOU get the chance to ask, don't. Just don't. Just go on and do....

...“this thing WE do”. And watch the floodgates open.

20 comments:

  1. OMG I wish I knew how to link this to my site cause its great!! You are such a colorful writer and really paint the picture for us. I hope I can get my points across this good one day Keep it up...Love Rena

    ReplyDelete
  2. BabyMan

    Your wisdom always speaks volumes and is more than a little thought-provoking. That is a good thing. I also find you to be quite funny (Sugar too, lovely lady that she is!)you guys crack me up. But everything you say makes a great deal of sense to me. How very true that some questions are better off unasked! J (like Elysia's Henry) DID ask me "Questions #67 and #68", and I still cannot answer them for him. Don't think I ever will, either ;)

    TTWD is indeed the "opener of many floodgates". Isn't it cool?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, thanks for coming out of the woodwork and de-luking. You don't know how much that means to a blogger. I consider that a compliment greater than the compliment in your comment. Thanks for that too!

    Serena, colorful writer? You mean this old thing? I just reached in there and pulled out whatever came to mind first! ;) No seriously, thank you. Some work did go into it. Thanks for the encouragement and I'm glad you stopped by!

    Jenn,it turns out that my wisdom shelf only has one Book on it. Go figure. But if these accounts make us think, I agree it is a good thing. Just this morning I nearly went against my own advice and almost asked a better off unasked question. Sometimes wisdom doesn't quite play out into action does it? Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Maybe it came from where were were in our lives, but when I asked Grant, he didn't bat an eye, but said "Yep, I think I can do that!" Although, I have to say, after all the why's and soul searching I agree that it matters not at all why. What matters is that it works.

    I really agree with your take on deserving punishment. A lot of people seem to get very involved with keeping a tally and what they have earned, but in the end, for us the real agenda evolved into whatever worked to help make us a better pair, a more loving couple.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Babyman,
    So sorry to be late to the party! Thanks for the plug! I must say, although Henry asked the questions, (quite a while ago), he has been taking "action" and I've had much less time for blogging since he is *holding me accountable* much more than before. I do feel that I owe my readers a reply, and like they say in the commercial "We're workin' on it" You're take on things is great as usual! (ROTFLMAO!) Everyone should just quit talking about it and *Just get spankin'!*
    Elysia
    (did I get that leet speak right?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God someone else wonders about #67 and 68 - I had no good answer when I was asked those same questions and it almost brought the whole thing to a screeching halt. Now I think he sees results, and we've evolved into a sort of "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara, Wow! How awesome is Grant! To him I give a retroactive, "You go boy!" And yes, relationship is key.

    Elysia, Sounds like Henry is right on point and you're walking the line these days. And yes, you got it right: ROTFLMAO! ;-)

    Jenny, I'm glad you guys loosened up on the brake peddle and have settled into cruise "control".

    Thanks for commenting y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Babyman,

    I don't know how I managed to miss this post, but I finally found it.

    I was the one who asked for TTWD. I asked because I felt as if no one had ever loved me enough to take me in hand. I wanted to know that someone could love me enough to help make me a better person.

    When you have grown up with absolutely no discipline its hard to have self control when it comes to a lot of issues.

    Wil agreed and the rest is history.

    After reading this post I asked Wil why he thought it worked because like you we aren't sure why it works we are just really glad it does.

    Wil says he thinks it has to do with a more primal issue. That it goes back to the laws of nature. He said that only the most dominant male in all species are the ones who get to mate. He believes that mans primal instinct to dominate like all male animals and woman's primal instinct to be dominated and to submit have something to do with why TTWD works so well.

    I guess it just brings out the caveman in all of us.

    Great thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, I have to agree with Wil. Being civilized is great and good, but it sometimes squeezes too much of what is best out of what means to be male and female in relationship. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your blog. I just found it and a few others recently and I'm enjoying reading. My husband is deployed right now. I'd love for us to take our relationship to this level. When I talked about it to him, he asked all those questions, basically made me feel like I had "boots" as you said. I'd love to bring it up to him again when he gets home. It's good to see this from a man's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jess,
    I can only imagine how hard it must be for you with your husband away. And I'm not surprised he's asked all of those questions. I'm still freaking out a bit and I'M the one who intially asked about it!

    Here's to hoping it all works out when he gets home Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your posts. They are very insightful. I like to read the "male perspective", it helps to understand how men feel, and what its like to be on the other side of the paddle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Salvia,
    The "other side of the paddle" is not as easy as one would imagine. But I'm trying to get the hang of it. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was the one to suggest DD to my husband, and I'm so grateful he didn't react the way you thought you might have! It was a tough subject to broach, and after asking, I was so afraid I'd crossed a line. Luckily, he was totally into it, though he did ask lots of carefully worded questions. Since establishing our "rules", we've found that TTWD has completely changed our relationship...and we are getting plenty of sweetened coffee too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Totally into it"? That's very cool Elizabeth. Count your husband a men among men. It IS incredible what it does to the coffee, huh. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice blog!
    Congrats!
    ;)

    Abatxi's kisses!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. J & A, I'm glad you came over! Thanks for the compliment (and the kisses too!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear BabyMan,

    I laughed thinking of your potential questions because this is something I've seen run within families much more nature than nurture. I realized there was an 'interest'(obsession) in 5 & 6th grade when I would have to read The Lonely Doll (http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Doll-Dare-Wright/dp/0) where Edith gets spanked - I'll not count the time in 2nd grade when I asked someone to spank my OTK & on the bare! You are so blessed to have found each other. There's just somethin' about 'large and in charge' that breaks through the self induced entanglement of webs. As always, I love your thoughts processes! Take great care, KayLynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. KayLynn that's amazing! Uhhhhhh, spanking?! In 2nd grade?! That's quite a head start. I didn't get my first kiss until almost the 5th grade. Thank you for the compliment and the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff