Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Even 'Geniuses' Have to Study"

“Let me ask you a question”, I said, slipping into pseudo-Socratic mode like I sometimes do when I counsel. This is my patented “guide question”. I’m trying to guide the young man to an answer but not necessarily MY answer. He needs his answer; an answer from himself for himself; an answer that he can own so that he can operate more effectively within the situation. The young fella – just a hair beyond a month into the matrimonial crucible – looked at me. A hungry little finch – waiting. Waiting to devour a few crumbs of wisdom from the mouth of a mentor. We’d been eating and talking for a couple of hours at this point. Talking about ministry and leadership, about life and love. It was HIS love life that prompted the question:

“What type of husband does your wife’s actions tell you that she needs?” I asked him.

Inside my head I’m thinking: “Genius!” Cuz that’s what I call myself when I surprise myself like that and, uncharacteristically, say stuff that is moderately insightful. The full phraseology stolen from a Richard Pryor routine of years gone by: “The boy is a genius…need not pencil nor paper!”

This question was gonna help the kid. I mean, I had to admit the question WAS insightful. It didn’t linger in the air for that long. As a matter of fact, it didn’t linger at all. Everything BUT the question seemed to slow down – at least for me everything seemed to slow down. A surreal-like texture, as thick as maple syrup, settled around our breakfast table as I became “glazed over” in thought. The question however, picked up speed. First, it hit the young man's forehead right at his thinning hairline and, it seemed, bounced back toward ME! I bobbed with the skillful agility of Muhammad Ali (in counsel I’m used to dodging my own questions. After all, this ain’t about me – it’s about him). Missing me, the question whistled past my left ear. (that’s my good ear y’know).

The question must’ve ricocheted rather sharply off the small rim that protruded from the wood panel that separated our booth from the booth behind me, because it launched upward abruptly. It dinged a faux stucco ceiling tile out of its position, then bounced off of the waitress pick up counter causing jelly to roll. From there it pinged off of the large industrial coffeemaker where, in its wake, cups rattled in their saucers. Next it reverberated off of the wall with speed sufficient enough to bore through the wax in my aforementioned good ear. And there it settled comfortably like an earwig in a blanket - echoing:

“What type of husband-ban-baan-baaand…”, oh shit! (I jiggled my forefinger frantically in my ear);

“…does your wife’s-ife’s-iife’s-iiife’s…“ (Whoa, hold-, whoa Lord! That question wasn’t meant for ME!

“…actions tell-ell-ell-ell you-oo-ooo-oooo that she need-eed-eeed-eeeeds?” Fuck! I wanted to jab a toothpick in there and stab it dead.

It assaulted my consciousness like that damn “five dollar foot long” song. It seems that the question that my so-called “genius” had intended for HIM, was having a deafening – and definite – effect on ME!

When the clouds cleared from my field of vision I was glancing his way. He was just sitting there. Not looking at me. Thinking – I suppose. Maybe the question did linger for him. We had sat in silence for a minute maybe. Perhaps more. Maybe he was just pretending he didn’t see any of this “really wild weird” shit that was happening all around him.

But that’s where our conversation ended. I knew that if there were any nibblets of nourishing wisdom to be reaped, he would have to mine them through watching, meditating, contemplating and praying. I simply said, “It’s a rhetorical question” and we left it at that.

Since then, this superball of a question has been ringing in my ear. It has lost neither clarity nor poignancy. It's echo growing stronger and increasing in importance. It IS an important question, especially with "this thing we do". And sometimes the answer is as easy as single digit arithmetic – but most times not. Yep, I may be a “Genius!” And I may “need not pencil nor paper”. But if I’m going to reap any nibblets of nourishing wisdom from this, they will have to be mined through watching SugarAnne, meditating on meanings, contemplating action and praying for wisdom.

After all, even “geniuses” have to study.

7 comments:

  1. BabyMan,

    What a great post. I could actually visualize the entire scenario. As for great wisdom, well that's why I email you and Sugar. So unfortunately none popping up from here. I wish I had something insightful to say except this...
    I am glad to see a new post from you. You've been quiet recently.

    As for the question you asked your young friend obviously as God does sometimes He wanted you to contemplate just that. So contemplate a little and when you get the answer you are seeking please share it with us.

    Good luck on finding the answer you are looking for and you could always come right out and ask SugarAnne her thoughts and views on this as well. Her answers may surprise you.

    Take care friend and welcome back,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the welcome back Janet.

    It is not odd to me that the question was really intended for me. It's just odd that I figured it out so soon.

    I've already figured out that the answer is quite fluid and changes sometimes by the moment. And of course asking SugarAnne has been fruitful but actions convey what words cannot sometimes express.

    Haven't been "around" much - as far as posts are concerned. Likely to continue in this vein for the next couple.

    Oh, and by the way, that WAS a very insightful (and discerning) thought by you.

    Thanks for missing me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey BabyMan

    Still laughing..sorry. The imagery you use in your posts is really something else and I loved the visual of the question bouncing off of everything in that restaurant before finally landing in your own ear, and in your own head. Makes me wanna hear one of your sermons, lol. Must be why I like reading your blog I suppose. Well, that, and the fact that you seem to know what your talking about. Do you do online counseling? Just kidding..well, no, I'm not. I've had that question (in reverse) banging off the walls of my own brain for weeks now, and I'm still agonizing over it. "What type of Wife does my Husband's actions tell me that he needs?" It's really pissing me off - and at the moment, so is he. LOL

    Anyways, great post - Keep em' coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babyman,
    Well as usual your writing is most entertaining and really focused everyone on the question, which I am quite sure was your intent. Genius question to be sure! I am sure that you have been working on the answer and will share with us every time you post,as her needs might change as you are watching, meditating, contemplating and praying- right before your very eyes! Faster than a Subway commercial break!
    btw VERY COOL moving cartoon man!
    Elysia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jenn, yeah that question can really mess your mind - more so in reverse I suppose.

    Online counseling? Uh...sure: don't jam any toothpicks in your ear. That'll be $75 please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elysia, You're right, than answer changes quicker than a runway model during fashion week and more often too. Yet, I continue work on the answer. I imagine some of what I THINK are the right answers will come out in future posts. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. True to the Socratic method of teaching, the teacher evokes truths form the student which both can and do learn from. And isn't THAT cool? I would say yep, genius category!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff