Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Hero Complex or Complex Hero"

I had to go in and save my girl. Yesterday she was all down in the dumps. The thermometer reading was SAD and rapidly falling toward depression. The weather had changed drastically. The sky went gray and a wisp of falling flurries could be seen. She didn’t have enough energy to complete all of her tasks. So in the late morning she called me. She received the measure of mercy she needed.

In the late afternoon when I got home I wasted no time. After a small amount of banter I grabbed a paddle, commanded her over my knee, peeled back those baby blue pajama bottoms and went to work ever so slowly and quite deliberately. I “raised her temperature” and set the thermostat to "function". It wasn’t punishment. Nah. The woman needed saving.

Like Mighty Mouse, I’m always looking for an opportunity to rip my shirt open, stick out my chest (with that big bold superhero husband insignia on the undershirt) and proclaim boldly and confidently,

“Here I come to save the day!!”

I need to be her hero. Husbands naturally feel this way about their wives. At least I think they should. I love taking care of Sugar. But more than that, I think I need to take care of her. In fact, it goes well beyond all of that chivalrous stuff: beyond the opening of doors and the walking down stairs in front of her. It goes beyond the anticipating her need of a sweater, an umbrella or a toothpick after popcorn. It even goes beyond fulfilling her wants and desires – and protecting her from them when her indulgence could lead her into harm’s way. 

need to protect her from the world. Need.

Yes, I confess I have a hero complex in that regard. But a hero complex can actually get in the way of me being the man that she really needs me to be. You see, there’s a difference between a man with a hero complex and a man who is a complex hero.

A man with a hero complex lets his wife get whatever she wants, whenever she wants it, however she wants it. He lets her engage her tendencies and desires – even if they could lead to harmful conclusions. He does it just to get his hero “fix”.

But a man who is a complex hero strives to give his wife whatever she needs, whenever she needs it, however she needs it. He sets clear guidelines for her and their relationship. He holds her accountable to those guidelines. And he follows through with punishment if necessary – even if that means spanking thoroughly and consistently – on a regular basis. He don’t need no hero “fix”.

I go back and forth between operating out of a hero complex and operating as a complex hero.

I once had a mentor who used to tell me, “Sometimes the person you think is lovin’ on ya, is actually really hurtin’ on ya. And sometimes the person you think is hurtin’ on ya, is actually really lovin’ on ya.”

I think the women who consent to “this thing we do” probably have a better understanding of that than we – the men they actually submit to.

20 comments:

  1. You have such a unique way of looking at things Baby Man. I love it. Glad you put her back to function once again. What kind of mentor did you have if I may ask? Galway

    ReplyDelete
  2. very insightful post b man... did u stop by and see my latest post a little humor lol and my clever hoh..o and i hope my response to your comment the other day didn't bother u...

    ReplyDelete
  3. B'Man - A hero? In our midst? Gee, I feel honored! Lol! Seriously, I do believe every husband/HoH in a DD relationship deserves the title of hero. I'm glad you stepped in and moved SA's thermostat back to its "functional" setting. Sometimes we ladies need some help with technical stuff like that. ;-)

    Thanks for the post!

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can def relate to the idea of the two kinds of heroes. I can remember 'walking' all over B. and thinking wow what a nice guy, but not gaining any respect for him. He was being a hero; but he wasn't giving me what I needed. Sometimes you men have to take us off of our pedestal just for a moment to spank our butts; or whatever is needed; but please remember to put us back up on the pedestal when you are done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, hero man.

    She was in her pajamas in the late afternoon? Boy, did she need you.

    Lynda can be the same way and needs the same thing from me. I tried everything else including threatening to leave her, but spanking is the only thing that worked.

    Here's to us heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes my son gets aggravated with me when I don't back him in a conflict he's having with a teacher or a friend. 'I thought you were on my side!'. I have to remind him that being on his side doesn't mean pretending that he's always right; sometimes it means pointing out his mistakes and offering guidance. That's what my husband is doing for me. He helps me, by whatever means necessary, do the right thing for me, even if that means using some negative reinforcement to steer me back on course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Galwaygiirl:
    Thanks. I’m glad you appreciate my angle on things.

    Yes “function”. I’m glad I was able to get the “save” this time.

    And…the mentor was a business partner who was also instrumental in me coming to Christ.
    Thanks for asking and for comenting too.

    daisy christian:
    Insight…that’s my middle name ;) Well, not really ;)

    I saw your funny post and appreciate the cleverness of your HoH.

    And your response the other day was right on the $. Nothing like making you ladies squirm in anticipation of a spanking. I’m glad you paid me a visit.
    Thanks for the comment.

    RW:
    Yes, a hero in your midst. The important thing is what kind of hero. I’m trying to keep an equilibrium between complex and, well, complex.
    Unfortunately, I won’t be able to live up to helping with any of the technical stuff. I barely know what a Philips screwdriver is. ;)
    You KNOW you’re always welcome here. Thanks for coming over.

    surrenderingslowly:
    Yes, our “hero” sometimes leaves us actually being the villain if our ladies don’t get what they need. Thanks for the reminder to “put her back on her pedestal”. It is something that can be easily forgotten if we become intoxicated with power.

    Mick:
    “Unhappy is the land (and wife) in need of a hero”. Yes, here’s to us heroes (lifting glass)...when we get it right.
    Thanks man.

    Sheila:
    That’s a lost parental art.
    The Bible says, “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it”.
    I’m sure after your son gets down the road a little bit he soon realizes that you ARE always on his side. What a wonderful lesson to learn – and be taught (kudos to hubby). Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy that SugarAnne has found the complex hero in you! What a great analogy! I am too hating the flurries and gray skies! Have you looked into buying a SAD box, heard they help....along with spankings of course! Great post as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, poor Sugar... I love the snow. I watch it fall in awe of a wonderful God who designs and creates EVERY SINGLE SNOWFLAKE that falls, to be utterly unique. There is never any snowflake identical to another that has ever fallen. I find that amazing. He takes such care over creating snowflakes, that last a few minutes, how much more care does He take creating each of us in a unique way?
    So, I watch it fall in wonder, trying to count the snowflakes....and despite the cold and the problems it causes in this country of no snowploughs, I love the white blanket of purity that even makes rubbish dumps look beautiful, and think of it as Jesus' cloak that covers our sin and makes us pure in God's eyes....
    Glad you rescued Sugar. I would want Davey to do that for me if I was depressed, too... and I know he would. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, and btw, Sheila...I see spanking as POSITIVE reinforcement, not negative! ;) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hero= Knowing when to hold em' (her)
    and
    Knowing when to fold em' (her over your knee)
    I believe you are S.A. hero!
    You got this down.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy:
    I hope she’s happy with my complexities too. It appears that she is. I’ve never heard of a SAD box (google is the next stop) but I can manage the spankings pretty well. Thanks Judy! I love that you stop by.

    Daisy:
    Yeah…like you I was once addicted to snow. But there was so much of it I couldn’t begin to count the flakes. It was actually Jesus’ cloak that dug me up out of it. If not for Him I would not have a rescue bone in my body. Oh, “say hello to my little friend” Davey for me. (If you get this, you know I just teasing right?) ;) xxxxxxxxx

    Tam-a-lam!
    S.A.’s Hero? Hm…I try to get it right. The reality is I’m still fumbling through this thing. But whatever I’m getting right (and some of the wrong too) I don’t mind passing along. Thanks for the encouraging comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She knew she needed rescuing and her Hero didn't let her down.

    Lovely post BabyMan.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Babyman,

    I think men of all ages, whether they are 85 or 5, have a really strong need to be considered a hero to the women in their lives.

    Great post! My Husband often rescues me in this manner as well. It often impresses me as much as I'm sure it would if he had slayed a dragon for me.

    serentiy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, B'Man! Thanks for sharing your take on the rescue effort. Where would we gals be without our complex Hero? I know SA is grateful to you for pulling her out. That low down feeling is awful so it's a wonderful feeling to be brought to life again. Go B'MAN!!!!!

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  16. ronnie:
    There’s nothing like being consistently complex. Thanks for the compliment.

    Serenity:
    Saving our damsels in distress is as natural as the wistful feeling they get when we save them. I’m glad your husband leaves you wistfully impressed. Thanks for the comment and encouragement.

    Kady:
    “Just doin’ m’job ma’am” -
    (standing tall hands on hips, cape blowing in the wind);
    “Just doin’ m’job”.

    You have quite a Superman over there in JJ, so I know you’re ass grateful as she is. ;)
    Thanks for cheering us on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always good when our superheroes are THERE for us.

    Now for something completely different,um I am having a bit of trouble reading the blog with the new background. In order to see the entire room I had to hit control negative about 10x that of course made the print unreadable! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great post! Love it that you can describe the subtle give-and-take or maybe push-and-pull and let us see the nuances between Hero Complex and Complex Hero!

    *claps her hands*

    Bravo!

    FT

    ReplyDelete
  19. FT:
    *gently and humble bow*

    Thanks for that glowing comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff