Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Disease, Defiance, Decisions and Bad Grades"

“You left me!!” “I needed you!!” “You ignored me!!”
She’s crying that angry cry. The tracks of her tears may leave a salt stain, but bitterness is flowing at the moment. I stand dumbfounded. And even though she’s just about screaming, “Go! Just go on. Go on to work!” I am stunned to immobility. I eventually did leave for work. That was this morning.

I had watched the funk slowly descend upon SugarAnne over the past couple of days. Even though it doesn’t rain like it used to, I know the dark clouds of depression when I see them: a lack of effervescence with gloom behind the eyes; a general sluggishness with a lack of “presentation”. I know I’m dealing with disease here: Depression. But since we began our D/s relationship it has been either scarce or, when it attempted to rear its ugly head, I had been able to “go in there” and pull her out.

When she woke up in a bad spot yesterday, I went “in there” and gave her a “steak peppering” stress reliever. It was seasoned with sincere platitudes of love and high value. It would be the second paddling since I broke my “fast” last weekend. As I left for work, I was hopeful. Hopeful that she was convinced of her worth; hopeful that she would make it to the gym; hopeful that she would “girl up” for my homecoming as she was instructed during the proceedings.

But an afternoon phone call revealed that my paddle panacea was not a panacea at all. She had not gotten out of bed. She had not gone to the gym. She had not “girled up”. As a matter of fact save a shower, “NOT” was all that she had done to that point in the day – NOT NUT’N! I did everything I could, within the parameters of a phone call, to get her up and to get her out.  She needed to get out into the bright sunshine of a gorgeous day. This disease is a mutha. So I “tasked” her on going to the gym.

When I give her a task I confess, I sometimes struggle with the idea of having to execute punishment if it is not completed. As HoH I know it’s necessary; there’s always a bit of “excitement” to it; and I love the effect that it has on our relationship. But punishment is not a quick and easy second nature sorta thing for me. I have been effective but, there’s usually some anxiety that comes along with it. “Tasking” her would get her up and out for sure. Better she go nowhere fast up on a treadmill, than to go down fast to nowhere on a bed vacant of endorphins.

Coming home saw my hope pick pocketed by the dark days of old. She had quite successfully gone down fast to nowhere. She was still in bed. I wasn’t alarmed (maybe I should’ve been). I was more worried than disappointed.

“Did you make it to the gym today?” I gently probe not exactly sure.
“I just couldn’t make it”, she says, to answer seemed like a workout for her.
“Hmm…that’s not good”, I reached out and touched her thigh.
“Is there something I can do for you?” I offer.
“No”, she says glumly.

She had earned a spanking that’s for sure. And knowing Sugar, if it where humanly possible, she would’ve done everything she could to avoid another “bang on the bongos” in the same day. “Is it defiance when disease just won’t let her do it?”

Like a deer in headlights, I was caught trying to make a decision between disease and defiance; between compassion and control. I stepped back onto the sidewalk. Disease and compassion won out. I lost: my bad HoH instincts left her there – or should I say “in there” – hoping that the disease would ease it’s grip before the evening was done. It did not. And there she stayed until morning. That's why my day started with a heart piercing, “You left me!!” “I needed you!!” “You ignored me!!”
Bad instincts makes for a bad HoH who will make bad decisions.
Bad grade: F(uck!)

13 comments:

  1. Depression is a horrible thing....

    Big hugs to you both! It's never easy to know what the right thing is to do. Sometimes no mater what you do, it's still wrong.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. BabyMan, sometimes you can't grade yourself accurately . You are not being fair to either of you here. Dd, spanking, especially punishment, is a tricky thing and depression is an illness best not played with. You did nit play and cannot fault yourself. You don't know if spanking her, if punishing her, would have pulled her out anyway. As I think you know I have been struggling, and here there has been spanking. It has not fixed me. Helped, but not made everything totally OK, and we both hate that. I wish you HoH guys had magic too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you did the wrong thing at all. I think when things return to a balance you should talk to her about what she wanted you to have done -- and learn from there.

    Afterall -- if she had the flu and wasn't able to meet your needs you would not punish her. I don't think this is all that different.

    Bless you both --

    sfp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, tough one. I know this play by heart, because I do this same thing to J constantly. I know what is happening to Sugar, and I'm telling you BabyMan, it's ugly. And never easy on an HoH, that's for sure. I get down, withdraw into the deep dark abyss, and leave J standing there in bewilderment. He worries, but is never quite sure what he ought to do. Secretly, I WANT him to, as you say, "Come and get me" or "Pull me out", but - here's the kicker - I refuse to open up and simply tell him that (until it's too late of course) so the whole thing turns into some sort of theatrical game. J, like you, ends up finding it safer to leave me be, and I, not getting what I want or need from him, end up pouty and with hurt feelings.
    I wouldn't feel too bad or get too down on yourself. Your not a bad HoH, and no one can fault you for being sympathetic or having compassion. This is just one of those things, ya know? It happens.
    Poor Sugar - I sure hope she feels better soon.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. BabyMan - this disease is horrible, not just on the person who is ill, but everyone around her who looks on in helplessness. Keep the flu analogy in mind - sometimes it responds to one treatment, sometimes another, and sometimes nothing helps and it's no one's fault; it's just an illness. And it really sucks not being able to fix the problem when that's how you normally respond to a crisis. Your love and commitment to her will make a difference, though; depend on that.

    Has she seen anyone professionally?

    Take care,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. depression is hard on everybody, I feel for you both

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't be so hard on yourself, depression doesn't always respond the same way to the same 'fix' so what didn't work this time, might have worked last time. You can only do what you think is right and what your mind tells you feels right to do. It sounds like your heart wouldn't have been in it to give her another spanking that day and she might have actually sensed that and so who knows if that would have actually gotten her 'out' anyways. Just love her like you do and keep trying to help her, that's the best medicine, in my opinion.

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't worry babyman
    depression just needs time and patience.
    there is no right cure for depression, just go along with it. what she needs is TLC. go with your instinct. you know her best and even if your best doesn't work out, know that you had her best interests at heart.
    -alujna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mouse: truethat: depression is a horrible thing. The right thing this time could be the wrong thing next time. Ugh. Thanks for the hugs.

    Sara: Thanks. Basically she needed a hug – not necessarily punishment. I was a bit bummed. “F” might be a bit harsh. Your words are wise, as usual, and appreciated.


    sfp: I appreciate the thought. If not punishment, I’ve learned since that I could’ve provided a bit more attention. I will correct that in the future. Thanks for the blessings

    Jenn: OMG! Is it ugly! This is probably the most difficult situation for me to cope with as HoH. You’ve described it exactly. Thankfully, she is one the upswing today. Thanks Jenn.

    Jenny: “Depression even affects the dog”…that’s what the commercial says. And yes…love and commitment is key. Thanks for your concern.


    Ally: “…even the dog” and we don’t even have one! Thanks for feeling our pain.

    Suzy: I’m always hard on myself. It’s a character flaw I suppose. I get “the same ‘fix’ different time may not work” thing. Each event brings its own set of solutions. I suppose the best instinct IS love. Thanks for your opinion.


    Alujna: That’s just really good advice. There’s peace in that approach. I sense you are wise beyond your years. I think your ‘bedside manner’ will make you a very good doctor one day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you know how much I love you. That crazy, insensitive witch who spent all day in bed and then treated you like dirt was not me, but my evil twin. Regardless, I will spend all evening (and all weekend) making it up to you. Maybe you can come home early today and I’ll begin to prove it.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah twins! Every man's dream. I take the evil twin's passion and the good twin's desire to please. "
    Waiter...table for 3 please".

    How can I not love and cherish both of you?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Babyman,
    Just read your blog for the first time, and will be back. Depression is an awful difficult thing to understand, especially by anyone who has not suffered it. Bless you for your perseverence and unconditional love of SugarAnne, this will win through in the end. Love always wins. God bless you both, I will add you to my prayer-list. xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daisychain...welcome! Thanks for looking in. And thanks for adding me to your prayer list! I will be asking the Lord for every blessing you're praying for so approach the throne boldly and fervently.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, comments, witticisms, funny stuff